Lethal kaleidoscope tumbles
Jumbled memory shards
Pierce among shimmering slivers of
Minute bejeweled freedoms
Time warps, composure crumbles
Torn forever asunder
Devoid of flavor, substance
Assurances of future success
Sugar frosted pain denials
Provide no sustenance
Shockwaves on wake pf
Glycemic system crash
Bitter rotten predictions
Prognostications of perpetual
Stormy doom and gloom
Singe and curl the tongue
Starve cells and organs
Prompt systemic decay
Tastefully blended mix
Palatably bitter sweet
Acknowledgment of grainy lumps
Awaiting cringing consumption
Tough repetitive grinding chews
Seasoned with heaping spoonfuls of
Savory cautious hope,
Dressed in loving drizzle
Quiet strong encouragment
Chased with steadfast belief
Replenishes depleted body
Quenches thirsty soul
Hesitant watery rays
Shift silvery to translucent
Crack open lowering gloom
Fall earthward in wavering shower
Faded cornflower blue breeze
Riffles tepid air’s edges
Kildeer freeze on approach
Pause peck-bobbing progress
Gravel-stood stillness elicits
Adventurous wandering doe
Heeding change’s inexorable call
Ventures far afield
In spring scented leaps and bounds
Spots track-rounding repetition
Flees with white-tailed exuberance
Rolling bluegrass hills
Grey-green in residual winter
Rimmed with trees, bare-limbed
Bearing silent witness
Mark circuitous trek
Time and life tattered
Skitter and tumble aground
Bidding silent adieu
Ahead, precipice’s ledge.
Swirling grey fog
Obscures environs below
Hidden scratching thorns
Cavernous flooded crevices
Poisonous darting predators
A bedraggled budding flower.
Behind, baying hounds of hell
Zeroed in on
Terror’s putrid stench
Razor sharp teeth
Gnash, slash, viscerate
Soft underbelly of vulnerability
Gentle unprotected heart.
She steps off.
“That fuckin’ motherfucker fuckin’ fucked me’ll up!”
Circle the response below that is the closest interpretation of this idiomoatic expression
- An individual, heretofore unknown, was ahead of me in line and received the last delicacy, which I had been craving.
- My business associate, with whom I engage in ongoing illicit enterprises, did not uphold her end of our agreement. I am disconcerted, though I have engaged in the same behavior. There is, in truth, no honor among thieves.
- An unexpected slip of the tongue resulted in a hilarious double entendre and side-splitting laughter
- My soulmate made love to me with earth-shattering spiritual intensity, culminating in toe-curling, multiple orgasmic ecstasy.
- My dear friend betrayed my trust by publicly divulging intimate personal information which I had conveyed in strictest confidence.
- While participating in nefarious underworld activities, an unsuspecting authority figure nonchalantly wandered past, nearly stumbling upon my secreted cache.
- I overheard a grisly tale of horrendous abuse, which was relayed with shockingly inappropriate humor and lack of consternation.
- A generally shy and retiring cohort made an out of character risque comment.
- The contraband mind altering substance, which I willingly consumed, had psychoactive effects beyond those which I sought and expected.
Correct answer: Any of the above. This idiomatic expression must be interpreted with heavy reliance upon non-verbal cues, including, but not limited to, tone of voice and body language, as well as contextual placement. Speakers who rely heavily on use of such idioms may well convey all of the above experiences with this solitary expression.
*Note the unique linguistic use of a single word to function as noun, verb, adjective and adverb.
Indicate by circling the correct translation of this quote, consistent with its cultural context.
- (Spoken in an amiable discourse) “You have to remember within this police state, logic and rationality do not apply.”
- (Laughing, without rancor) “You can’t honestly believe, no matter how reasonable and important your concern is, that anyone will take you seriously. We’re inmates, not actual people.”
- (Spat out venomously) “I have fully degraded myself to the basest behaviors observed within the incarcerated milieu, and thus I expect no more from you.”
- (To a friend) “I am aghast at the dehumanizing conditions in which we are forced to exist (living being too noble of a term to apply to this situation.) I empathize greatly with your excruciating pain and fervently wish, however futilely, that I possessed some way to alleviate it.”
- (Dangled in the hallway, to whomever may take the bait) “Since, by virtue of my current incarceration, I have been deemed a rule-breaker, it seems incumbent upon me to therefore violate all possible regulations, in validation of my label.”
- (Screamed, in full combat mode) “How dare you request, no matter how appropriately, that I deign to give you any modicum of respect!! I shed what few pro-social attitudes I previously possessed when I walked through these portals to hell.”
- (Genuinely) “I wholeheartedly commiserate with your dismay about the interpersonal landmines strewn haphazardly through these halls. It is incredibly difficult to know whose talk can be believed or who can be trusted. I urge you to continue to employ the utmost caution prior to divulging any confidential information.”
- (Resignedly) “Yes, it is wholly disheartening to be callously relegated to this inhumane environment. It goes against everything we have been led to believe about our inalienable rights as citizens of the leader of the free world! It is utterly disempowering and traumatizing and we have no standing to effect any change.”
- (Astounded) “I cannot wrap my feeble addled mind around the fact that you continue to advocate for yourself or others within this environment. The goal of this Machiavellian social experiment is the crushing of the human spirit. Why have you not succumbed?”
- (Malevalently) “This is my announcement to you that I have been irrevocably poisoned by this experience. I will not hesitate to engage in vicious, violent acts and assign all responsibility to the situation.”
- (Contemptuously) “I cannot conceptualize a possible universe in which you successfully retained even the smallest sliver of self-respect. Therefore, when you act in accordance with your values, I will attempt to debase you, consistent with my lowest common denominator, by rampant utilization of juvenile name-calling.”
Correct Answer: Any of the above. In attempting translation of any statements from the dialect of the prison sub-culture, close attention must be paid to all nuances of the situation in which the statement is made. Mistranslation can be dangerous. Proceed with caution.
*Note that “bitch” is a ubiquitous salutation, indicative of pervasive internalized sexism and self-hatred, rather than any particular emotional state or perception of the addressee.